In this first instalment of our “Me, Myself & Surfing” interview series we catch up with West Australian charger Kerby Brown to learn more about his relationship with the act of riding waves.
Name: Kerby Brown
Current Age: 31
Location: Kalbarri, Western Australia
- My earliest memory of surfing is… getting pushed into the shore break by my dad on a foamy in Bali.
- Surfing to me is… a huge part of my life. I need the adrenalin rush of big waves to keep me happy.
- Home is…a sleepy little fishing town in the Mid West of Western Australia.
- My first overseas surf trip was to… Indonesia.
- I still want to travel to… Fiji, I still haven’t surfed Cloudbreak.
- I wish that I could… Fly, I spend way too much of my life in the car!
- I’d love to share a few waves with… my friends.
- My magic board/piece of equipment is/was a… All of my Simon Anderson boards go insane!
- Wetsuits are… great when it’s cold.
- Localism is… necessary to regulate surf breaks.
- Before I get in the sea I always… listen to music.
- My most memorable session was… Hard to name one, but probably a few years ago at the Right. I rode the biggest, heaviest wave of my life.
- The last time I scared myself surfing… a few months ago I went head first into the coral and had to get carried away in the ambulance.
- My favorite surf movie is… I don’t really watch them anymore but all the old Billabong Jack McCoy films were awesome.
- My guilty pleasure is… Beer.
- If I didn’t surf then I’d probably… be dead.
- My greatest fear is… something bad happening to someone in my family, especially my boy.
- I’m happiest when… I’ve scored a big swell and I come home to my girl and grom.
- I check the surf forecast…too often.
- I dream about… riding new slabs.
- If I could travel back in time I’d set the dial to… I’d want to go back to the 70’s… I was born too late.
- In the future… I don’t want to go forward in time.
- When I get barreled I… feel so content.
- Surf culture… whatever!
- The ocean is… the best place in the world to me.